Thursday, December 18, 2008

*Rabecca Miskimen* LUPUS


The picture to the left is a picture of a sign of lupus which usually increases with the sunlight.





The site I am doing this summery over is http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lupus/DS00115 . I will tell you why I picked Lupus. The reason why I picked Lupus is because I actually want to learn more about it because my sister, Tasha, has it.
The three words that I really don't know are:
1. Inflammatory- relating to or causing inflammation of a part of the body.
2. Erythematosus- superficial reddening of the skin, usually in patches, as a result of injury or irritation causing dilation of the blood capillaries.
3. Prognosis- the likely course of a disease or ailment.

This paper is telling us about what the symptoms of lupus are and what causes lupus and what exactly it is. Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. Lupus is more common in women then men. Nobody really knows why it is that way but it is. There are four types of lupus: systemic lupus erythematosus, discoid lupus erythematosus, drug-induced lupus erythematosus and neonatal lupus. As you can see there are many types but the most common and most serious is erythematosus. Lupus has many symptoms but the symptoms that you have depend on what body part is effected. Some of the symptoms of lupus are: fatigue, fever, weight loss or gain, joint pain, stiffness and swelling, butterfly-shaped rash on the face that covers the cheeks and bridge of the nose, skin lesions that appear or worsen with sun exposure, mouth sores, hair loss, (alopecia), fingers and toes that turn white or blue when exposed to cold or during stressful periods (Raynaud's phenomenon), shortness of breath, chest pain, dry eyes, easy bruising, anxiety, depression, and memory loss. Most of the people that have lupus have sudden break outs of it. Lupus is an autoimmune disease, which really just means that instead of it just attacking foreign substances, like bacteria and viruses, your immune system also attacks healthy tissue. Which is not good of course. Lupus can cause damage to certain parts of the body such as your joints, skin, kidneys, heart, lungs, blood vessels and your brain. The main point is that lupus is a bad disease that nobody wants to have and nobody need/should have but there are some people out there that do have it.

What I think of this site about lupus is that it really helped me understand a little more about lupus which at first I didn't know that there was only four types of lupus but now I know that and I feel a little more educated. To tell you the truth I didn't really know anything about lupus except that it causes you to get really bad sick and it can cause you to have a red rash on your face. The only reason why I knew this about lupus was because of my sister, Tasha, she has lupus and she has been in pretty bad shape but she is doing good now. I believe if you want to find out or more about lupus you should go to the site that I went to and you should find out a lot more.

No comments: